Monday, August 19, 2013

Jude's Birth

As of late July I had been going to the doctor and having non-stress tests done at the hospital weekly.  My doctor was shooting to deliver August 21st which would have been 38 weeks.   The last weekend of July I started having some contractions that my doctor was concerned about but just watching closely.  By the first weekend in August the contractions were still there and becoming a little more frequent and consistent.  Also my fluid had dramatically dropped so that was a new factor they were watching.  On Monday August 5th I went to Texas Children's at 7:30am for a scheduled NST.  I was hooked up for about 25 minutes and had 3 strong contractions.  Dr. Adam was called and although she wasn't thrilled she sent me home saying, "if you would have had 4 I would have kept you".  Nathan drove me home and headed off to work.  Around 11:30 the contractions picked up and were consistently every 4 to 5 minutes and were stronger than they had been.  I called Dr. Adam and she told me to head back to the hospital to be hooked up and monitored.  When we arrived the contractions were still what I had seen at home so Dr. Adam said I was staying.  She was hoping not to deliver but she said I would stay at the hospital for monitoring for the rest of my pregnancy, however long that might be.  I was given a medicine to stop the contractions (which only slowed them down).  We spent the day just waiting to see what my contractions would do.   Since this was going to be my 4th c-section and because my uterus ruptured during John Patrick's delivery my doctor didn't want to take any chances on my uterus.   However, since I was only 35 wks and 4 days she also was hoping to hold off a few days until I was at least 36 wks for Jude's sake.  
Finally around 10 o'clock Dr. Adam made the call that we would need to deliver since my contractions weren't going away and just getting stronger.  They called all the needed people for the operating room including a neonatologist team and started prepping me for delivery.  Jude was born at 10:53pm and came out screaming.  His scream was the sweetest sound Nathan and I have ever heard.  They rushed him to the neo team and at first it seemed as if he would be handed to be and not need any additional assistance.  He weighed 6lbs and was 18in long.  After just a few minutes his O2 levels dropped and they told us he would need to go to the NICU.  They put an IV in his tiny arm and handed him to me for a brief minute before swooping him off in a box to the NICU.  







Originally they told us he would just go to the NICU for 24 to 48 hours.  When he got to the NICU they put him on a BCPAP machine and he was on the CPAP for 5 days.  











On Friday he was taken off the CPAP and they observed him and followed his eating until he was discharged on Monday afternoon. 


















 Nathan and I felt so blessed to have Jude here and so well taken care of.  There were so many families on the NICU floor who have been there weeks or even months so we were humbled by our short stay with Jude.  God truly blessed Jude's birth and we have so many things to be thankful for.  Thank you for everyone's prayers and out pouring of love.  We can't wait to introduce everyone to our little Jude Michael.

"may mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance." Jude 2

No comments:

Post a Comment